Phan Anh Vu
Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
T +84 28 3823 9640
vCard Download Profile
Phan Anh Vu is a partner and leads a legal team at Indochine Counsel from its establishment in 2006. He has over 16 years of legal advisory and business consulting experience in Vietnam, specializing in inward investment, mergers & acquisitions, corporate & commercial, and property & construction. He also has significant experience with securities, project financing transactions, mining & energy, and insolvency & restructuring.
Prior to joining Indochine Counsel, he worked as an associate and deputy legal manager for a major local law firm, Vision & Associates (2004-2006). He began his career as in-house counsel for 7 years at a large State-owned company (28 Corporation / AGTEX), operating in the fields of garment & textile, fuel petrol and real estate.
With in-depth knowledge of business law, Vu has advised and acted as a legal counsel in a number of investment projects and commercial transactions for some major foreign and local investors in Vietnam, including Gimpex Limited, Vietnam Alliance Minerals, Hoan My Medical Corp, Victoria Healthcare, ILA Vietnam, Raffles Education, HR2B Vietnam, Turner & Townsend, Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations, Chevron Lubricant Vietnam Ltd., Truong Hai Auto Corporation (THACO), Savico Corporation, Golden Pig JSC, Saigon Paper, Trung Nguyen Group, Triumph Vietnam, Vietfund Management, Dong A Fund Management Corp, Southern Bank, Gulf Developers, Guthrie GTS Limited, and ZarubezhEnergoProekt Europe Ltd.
He is a regular contributor to legal journals such as Asian-Mena Counsel, and has also written extensively on business law topics for business newspapers in Vietnam. He has also been a local contributor for “Doing Business Project – Vietnam” of World Bank from 2007.
He has successfully completed the CEDR Training Course (a six-day course) and has been certified as a CEDR Accredited Mediator. The training course organized by CEDR, the largest conflict management and resolution consultancy in the world with the collaboration of the Ministry of Justice, IFC Vietnam and VIAC (Vietnam International Arbitration Centre) in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Vu’s notable transactions include:
- Advised Sendo (a subsidiary of FPT Online) for sales shares to strategic Japanese investors;
- Advised Saigon Paper Corporation for sales shares to strategic investors, Daio Paper and Development Bank of Japan (DBJ);
- Advised and acted for Golden Pig shareholding company for disposal of major shares to Nippon Meat Packers, Inc.;
- Acted for Anova Corporation (a member of Nova Group) for issuance of Convertible Bonds / Equity-linked Debt to two Singapore-based funds;
- Advised Alliance Minerals Vietnam Limited in acquisition of a white marble mine in Yen Bai Province, Vietnam;
- Advised and acted as legal counsel for Trung Nguyen Corporation in the restructure project of Trung Nguyen Group;
- Advised SEAF Blue Waters Growth Fund in an equity-linked debt investment through subscription of the convertible bonds issued by Hoa Binh Corporation (HBC);
- Advised a major fund management company in setting up a private equity closed-end fund in Vietnam;
- Assisted a Malaysian company in legal due diligence and issuance of legal opinion on its subsidiary in Vietnam, for listing shares on the Main Board of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad;
- Represented Block B – Omon Pipeline Operation Company (BPOC) / PVGas and attended negotiation between the project investor and consortium for amendment of EPC Contract in respect of Offshore Pipelines, Onshore Pipelines and Stations of Block B – O Mon Gas Pipeline Project in Ca Mau Province, Vietnam;
- Advised a major real estate developer in a land acquisition in Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, for a commercial development;
- Assisted a major local property developer for a 9 ha commercial & residential complex in District 7, Ho Chi Minh City; and
- Advised a foreign bank branch in preparation and review of lending documentation in relation to a property development project in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Inward Investment
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate & Commercial
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Property & Construction
- LLB, Ho Chi Minh City National University, 1997
- BA (English), Ho Chi Minh City University of Human & Social Studies, 2001
- BA (Business Administration), Ho Chi Minh Economic University, 2003
- Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association